What is the antonym of “fiercest”?
The antonyms of fiercest are gentle, mild, and tame. These antonyms convey a milder or calmer state than the original word, which implies a strong and aggressive nature.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having a mild or kind nature; not harsh or severe.
She spoke to the baby in a gentle voice, trying not to startle him.
Not severe or intense; moderate in nature or effect.
The doctor assured her that the pain would be mild and would go away soon.
Domesticated or trained to obey humans; not wild or aggressive.
The zookeeper showed us the tame animals that we could pet and feed.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Gentle implies a kind and mild nature, while fierce implies a strong and aggressive nature.
- 2Mild suggests a moderate or gentle quality, while fierce suggests a powerful and intense quality.
- 3Tame is a complementary antonym that suggests domestication or obedience, while fierce suggests wildness or untamed nature.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Animals: Use fierce to describe wild or aggressive animals, and gentle or tame to describe domesticated or mild animals.
- 2Expressing Emotions: Use fierce to express strong emotions like anger or passion, and gentle or mild to express calm or peaceful emotions.
- 3Writing Fiction: Use these antonyms to create contrasting characters or settings in your stories.
The antonyms gentle, mild, and tame convey a milder or calmer state than fierce. Use them to describe animals, express emotions, or create contrasting characters in your stories.