What is the antonym of “flapmouthed”?
The antonyms of flapmouthed are reticent, taciturn, and reserved. These words describe people who are not talkative or do not speak much.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not revealing one's thoughts or feelings readily.
She was reticent about her personal life and preferred to keep it private.
Reserved or uncommunicative in speech; saying little.
He was a taciturn man who rarely spoke unless spoken to.
Slow to reveal emotion or opinions.
She was reserved in her comments and did not want to offend anyone.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Reticent suggests a reluctance to speak or reveal one's thoughts or feelings.
- 2Taciturn describes someone who is habitually silent or uncommunicative.
- 3Reserved implies a cautiousness in expressing opinions or emotions.
Good things to know
- 1Job Interviews: Use these antonyms to describe your communication style in job interviews.
- 2Socializing: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to describe people's personalities.
- 3Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create well-rounded characters.
The antonyms of flapmouthed describe people who are not talkative. Reticent suggests a reluctance to speak, taciturn describes someone who is habitually silent, and reserved implies a cautiousness in expressing opinions or emotions. Use these antonyms to describe communication styles in job interviews, socializing, and writing.