What is the antonym of “folksiness”?
The antonyms of folksiness are formality, stiffness, and aloofness. These words convey a lack of warmth, informality, and friendliness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The rigid observance of rules, customs, and conventions, often in a formal setting.
The wedding ceremony was conducted with great formality, with the bride and groom dressed in formal attire.
Lack of ease or flexibility in movement or behavior; formality or reserve.
The new employee's stiffness and lack of social skills made it hard for her to fit in with her colleagues.
Aloofness is the state of being distant, reserved, or uninvolved in social interactions.
His aloofness made it hard for others to connect with him, and he often spent his time alone.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Formality refers to the strict adherence to rules and customs in a formal setting.
- 2Stiffness implies a lack of ease or flexibility in movement or behavior.
- 3Aloofness suggests a lack of involvement or interest in social interactions.
Good things to know
- 1Professional Settings: Use formality and stiffness in professional settings such as job interviews, business meetings, and formal events.
- 2Social Settings: Use folksiness to describe informal, friendly, and welcoming social situations.
- 3Interpersonal Relationships: Use aloofness to describe people who are distant, reserved, or uninvolved in social interactions.