What is the antonym of “foresightful”?
The antonym of foresightful is shortsighted, unperceptive, and unseeing. The antonyms shortsighted, unperceptive, and unseeing convey a lack of ability to anticipate future events or understand the consequences of actions.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lacking imagination or foresight; not considering the long-term consequences of actions.
The company's shortsighted decision to cut costs resulted in a decline in product quality and customer satisfaction.
Not able to perceive or understand things clearly or accurately.
He was unperceptive to the subtle hints she dropped, and failed to realize that she was interested in him.
Not seeing or noticing things; lacking perception or awareness.
The driver's eyes were open, but they were unseeing as he had fallen asleep at the wheel.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Shortsighted refers to a lack of imagination or foresight, while unperceptive refers to a lack of ability to perceive or understand things clearly.
- 2Unseeing is a relational antonym that describes a lack of perception or awareness, rather than a lack of foresight.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use foresightful and shortsighted to describe business decisions and strategies.
- 2Relationships: Use unperceptive to describe someone who fails to understand social cues or emotions.
- 3Literature: Use these antonyms in narratives to create characters with distinct personalities and traits.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Shortsighted refers to a lack of imagination or foresight, unperceptive refers to a lack of ability to perceive or understand things clearly, and unseeing describes a lack of perception or awareness. Use these words to describe business decisions and strategies, relationships, and characters in literature.