What is the antonym of “forgiveness”?
The antonyms of forgiveness are revenge, retaliation, and vindictiveness. These words convey a negative or hostile emotional state. They imply a desire to harm or punish someone who has wronged you.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of inflicting harm or punishment on someone in response to a perceived wrongdoing.
He sought revenge on his ex-girlfriend by spreading rumors about her.
The act of responding to an attack or injury with a similar attack or injury.
The company threatened retaliation against the union if they went on strike.
A strong desire for revenge or a tendency to hold grudges.
Her vindictiveness towards her former boss was evident in the scathing email she sent him.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Revenge is a specific act of inflicting harm or punishment on someone in response to a perceived wrongdoing.
- 2Retaliation is a more general term that describes responding to an attack or injury with a similar attack or injury.
- 3Vindictiveness is a personality trait that involves a strong desire for revenge or holding grudges.
Good things to know
- 1Conflict Resolution: Use forgiveness to resolve conflicts and promote peace.
- 2Emotional Intelligence: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to recognize and manage negative emotions.
- 3Personal Growth: Practice forgiveness to let go of grudges and move on from past hurts.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Revenge is a specific act of harm, retaliation is a general response to an attack, and vindictiveness is a personality trait. Use these words to enhance conflict resolution, develop emotional intelligence, and promote personal growth by practicing forgiveness.