What is the antonym of “frittered”?
The antonyms of frittered are conserve, save, and hoard. The antonyms conserve, save, and hoard convey the idea of preserving or keeping something for later use. It implies a sense of responsibility and prudence.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To protect from loss or harm; to preserve or keep safe.
We need to conserve our natural resources for future generations.
To prevent from being lost, wasted, or destroyed; to keep for future use.
She decided to save some money every month for her retirement.
To accumulate and store a large quantity of something, often secretly or greedily.
He had a tendency to hoard old newspapers and magazines.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Conserve implies a sense of responsibility and care for something valuable.
- 2Save suggests preventing something from being lost or wasted.
- 3Hoard connotes accumulating and storing something in excess, often with a sense of greed or secrecy.
Good things to know
- 1Environmental Protection: Use conserve to promote responsible use of natural resources.
- 2Financial Planning: Use save to encourage wise spending and saving habits.
- 3Psychology: Use hoard to describe a behavior associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Conserve conveys responsibility and care, save suggests prevention of loss or waste, and hoard connotes accumulation in excess. Use these words to promote environmental protection, encourage wise financial planning, and describe behaviors associated with OCD.