What is the antonym of “frugal”?
The antonym of frugal are extravagant, lavish, and wasteful. These words describe a person who spends money without care or restraint, often leading to financial difficulties.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Spending money in a way that exceeds what is reasonable or necessary.
She had an extravagant lifestyle, spending thousands of dollars on designer clothes and luxury vacations.
Expending or bestowing profusely; generous or extravagant.
The wedding was lavish, with a grand reception, live music, and a five-course meal.
Using or spending resources carelessly or extravagantly.
Throwing away food is wasteful and harmful to the environment.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Extravagant implies spending more than necessary or reasonable.
- 2Lavish suggests a generous or abundant expenditure of money.
- 3Wasteful describes a careless or inefficient use of resources.
Good things to know
- 1Money Management: Use these antonyms to discuss different approaches to managing finances.
- 2Consumerism: Incorporate these words to describe different attitudes towards spending and consumption.
- 3Environmentalism: Use wasteful to discuss the importance of reducing waste and conserving resources.
The antonyms of frugal describe a person who spends money without care or restraint. Extravagant implies excessive spending, lavish suggests generosity, and wasteful describes a careless use of resources. These words can be used to discuss money management, consumerism, and environmentalism.