What is the antonym of “furtherance”?
The antonyms of furtherance are hindrance, obstruction, and impediment. These words convey the opposite meaning of helping or promoting progress. They imply a barrier, obstacle, or difficulty that prevents something from moving forward.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Something that makes it difficult to achieve a goal or complete a task.
The heavy traffic was a hindrance to reaching the airport on time.
Something that blocks or hinders progress or movement.
The fallen tree was an obstruction on the road and caused a traffic jam.
A hindrance or obstacle that slows down or prevents progress.
His lack of experience was an impediment to getting the job.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Hindrance refers to anything that makes it difficult to achieve a goal or complete a task.
- 2Obstruction refers to something that blocks or hinders progress or movement.
- 3Impediment refers to a hindrance or obstacle that slows down or prevents progress.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use these antonyms in business contexts to describe factors that hinder progress or growth.
- 2Education: Incorporate these antonyms in educational settings to discuss obstacles to learning or academic success.
- 3Politics: Utilize these antonyms in political discussions to describe barriers to social or economic progress.
The antonyms of furtherance are hindrance, obstruction, and impediment. These words describe obstacles, barriers, or difficulties that prevent progress or movement. Use these antonyms in various contexts such as business, education, or politics to describe factors that hinder growth or success.