What is the antonym of “gelled”?
The antonyms of gelled are liquefy, melt, and dissolve. The antonyms convey the opposite meaning of gelled, which means to solidify or thicken into a gel-like substance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make or become liquid; melt.
The heat caused the ice to liquefy and turn into water.
To change from a solid to a liquid state by heating or being heated.
The snowman started to melt under the hot sun.
To become incorporated into a liquid so as to form a solution.
The sugar will dissolve in the hot tea.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Liquefy is used when a solid turns into a liquid, often due to heat.
- 2Melt is used when a solid turns into a liquid due to heat or other external factors.
- 3Dissolve is used when a solid becomes incorporated into a liquid to form a solution.
Good things to know
- 1Cooking: Use these antonyms when describing the process of cooking or preparing food.
- 2Science: Incorporate these antonyms when discussing chemical reactions or changes in states of matter.
- 3Art: Utilize these antonyms when describing the properties of different art materials, such as wax or clay.