What is the antonym of “generalization”?
The antonyms of generalization are specificity and particularization. These antonyms convey the opposite meaning of generalization, which is to be specific or detailed about something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of being specific or detailed.
The job description lacked specificity, making it hard for applicants to know what was expected of them.
The act of specifying or providing details about something.
The professor asked for more particularization in the research paper to support the arguments.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Specificity refers to the quality of being specific or detailed, while particularization refers to the act of providing details.
- 2Specificity is often used to describe a quality or characteristic of something, while particularization is used to describe an action or process.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use specificity and particularization to provide more details and support your arguments.
- 2Job Applications: Incorporate these antonyms in your resume or cover letter to demonstrate attention to detail and specificity.
- 3Creative Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create vivid descriptions and specific details that bring the story to life.
The antonyms specificity and particularization convey the opposite meaning of generalization, which is to be specific or detailed about something. Use these words to enhance academic writing, demonstrate attention to detail in job applications, and create vivid descriptions in creative writing.