What is the antonym of “gravitated”?
The antonyms of gravitated are repel and deter. The antonyms repel and deter convey the opposite meaning of being attracted or drawn towards something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To push away or keep at a distance; to resist or reject something.
The strong smell of the chemical repelled the insects and kept them away from the garden.
To discourage or prevent someone from doing something by creating fear or doubt.
The warning signs on the fence were meant to deter trespassers from entering the construction site.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Repel is used to describe a force that pushes away or keeps something at a distance.
- 2Deter is used to describe an action that discourages or prevents someone from doing something.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use repel and deter to expand your vocabulary and express ideas more accurately.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate antonyms in writing to create contrast and add depth to your work.
- 3Enrich Reading: Look for antonyms while reading to improve comprehension and retention of new words.
The antonyms of gravitated are repel and deter. Use repel to describe a force that pushes away or keeps something at a distance, and deter to describe an action that discourages or prevents someone from doing something. Incorporate these antonyms in your vocabulary to enhance communication, improve writing, and enrich reading.