What is the antonym of “greedy”?
The antonym of greedy is generous, unselfish, and modest. The antonyms generous, unselfish, and modest convey a positive or altruistic trait. It implies a lack of selfishness, greed, or excessive desire for material possessions.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Willing to give or share; unselfish.
She was generous enough to donate a large sum of money to the charity.
Putting others' needs before one's own; not selfish.
He showed his unselfish nature by letting his friend have the last slice of pizza.
Not excessively proud or confident; humble.
Despite his success, he remained modest and never boasted about his achievements.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Generous describes someone who is willing to give or share without expecting anything in return.
- 2Unselfish describes someone who puts others' needs before their own and is not motivated by personal gain.
- 3Modest describes someone who is humble and does not boast about their achievements or abilities.
Good things to know
- 1Express Gratitude: Use generous to express appreciation for someone's kindness or generosity.
- 2Encourage Altruism: Use unselfish to encourage selflessness and putting others' needs before one's own.
- 3Promote Humility: Use modest to promote humility and discourage arrogance or boasting.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Generous conveys willingness to give or share, unselfish denotes putting others' needs before one's own, and modest refers to humility. Use these words to express gratitude, encourage altruism, and promote humility.