What is the antonym of “grieve”?
The antonyms of grieve are rejoice and celebrate. The antonyms rejoice and celebrate convey a positive emotional state. It implies a feeling of happiness, satisfaction, or pleasure.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To feel or express great joy or delight.
We rejoiced when we heard the good news about her health.
To observe an event or occasion with festivities or ceremonies.
We will celebrate our anniversary by going out for dinner and dancing.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Rejoice is a verb that describes a feeling of great joy or delight.
- 2Celebrate is a verb that describes an action of observing an event or occasion with festivities or ceremonies.
Good things to know
- 1Express Joy: Use rejoice to express happiness and delight in conversations.
- 2Mark Occasions: Use celebrate to mark special events or occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays.
- 3Enrich Vocabulary: Incorporate these antonyms in writing and speaking to expand your vocabulary.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Rejoice conveys a feeling of great joy or delight, while celebrate describes an action of observing an event or occasion with festivities or ceremonies. Use these words to express joy, mark special occasions, and enrich your vocabulary.