What is the antonym of “hallucinate”?
The antonyms of hallucinate are perceive, see, and discern. The antonyms perceive, see, and discern convey the idea of seeing or sensing something that is real and present.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To become aware of something through the senses, especially sight or hearing.
I could perceive a faint smell of smoke coming from the kitchen.
To perceive with the eyes; to detect visually.
I can see the mountains in the distance.
To perceive or recognize something by sight or other senses.
I could discern the outline of a figure in the darkness.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Perceive emphasizes the use of the senses to become aware of something.
- 2See is more specific and refers to the act of detecting something visually.
- 3Discern implies a more careful observation or scrutiny to recognize something.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use perceive, see, and discern to describe sensory experiences accurately.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate antonyms in writing to create vivid descriptions and imagery.
- 3Enrich Vocabulary: Utilize these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and communicate more effectively.