What is the antonym of “heave”?
The antonyms of heave are lower, drop, and release. These words convey the opposite meaning of heave, which is to lift or raise something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To move something or someone to a lower position or level.
He asked the workers to lower the heavy box from the top shelf.
To let something fall from one's hand or a higher position.
She accidentally dropped her phone on the floor and cracked the screen.
To set something free or let it go.
The fisherman decided to release the small fish back into the water.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Lower implies a controlled descent, while drop suggests an accidental or sudden fall.
- 2Release implies freeing something from confinement or control, while heave implies lifting or raising something.
Good things to know
- 1Physical Actions: Use lower and drop to describe physical actions that involve bringing something down.
- 2Emotional States: Use release to describe emotional states such as letting go of anger or resentment.
- 3Technical Language: Use heave in technical language to describe lifting or raising heavy objects.
The antonyms of heave are lower, drop, and release. Use lower and drop to describe bringing something down, release to describe letting go of something, and heave in technical language to describe lifting or raising heavy objects.