What is the antonym of “hegemony”?
The antonyms of hegemony are subordination and inferiority. The antonyms subordination and inferiority convey a lack of power or control. It implies being under the authority or influence of another.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The state of being under the authority or control of another; being subordinate.
The company's employees were in a state of subordination to their managers.
The state of being lower in rank, status, or quality than others.
The team's performance was affected by a feeling of inferiority compared to their opponents.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Subordination refers to being under the authority or control of another, while hegemony refers to having dominant power or influence over others.
- 2Inferiority refers to being lower in rank, status, or quality than others, while hegemony refers to having a position of dominance or control.
Good things to know
- 1Politics: Use these antonyms to describe power dynamics between nations or groups.
- 2Social Issues: Incorporate these antonyms to discuss issues related to inequality and power imbalance.
- 3Academic Writing: Utilize these antonyms in essays or research papers to demonstrate understanding of complex concepts.
The antonyms of hegemony are subordination and inferiority. Use subordination to describe being under the authority or control of another, and inferiority to describe being lower in rank, status, or quality than others. These antonyms can be used in politics, social issues, and academic writing to discuss power dynamics and inequality.