What is the antonym of “hoping”?
The antonyms of hoping are despairing and doubting. The antonym despairing conveys a sense of hopelessness, while doubting implies a lack of confidence or belief in something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Feeling or showing a complete loss of hope.
After losing his job, he became despairing and thought he would never find another one.
Feeling uncertain or skeptical about something.
She was doubting whether she had made the right decision to move to a new city.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Despairing conveys a sense of hopelessness, while doubting implies a lack of confidence or belief in something.
- 2Despairing is an absolute state, while doubting can be a temporary or ongoing feeling.
Good things to know
- 1Express Emotions: Use despairing and doubting to express negative emotions effectively.
- 2Discuss Beliefs: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to discuss beliefs and opinions.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create contrasting moods and tones.