What is the antonym of “hypercivilized”?
The antonyms of hypercivilized are uncivilized, barbaric, and primitive. These words describe a lack of advanced culture, refinement, or development.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lacking culture, refinement, or manners; savage or wild.
The tribe's way of life was considered uncivilized by the modern world.
Cruel, brutal, or uncivilized; lacking in refinement or culture.
The gladiator fights in ancient Rome were considered barbaric by modern standards.
Relating to an early stage of development; lacking sophistication or complexity.
The indigenous people's tools and weapons were primitive compared to those of the colonizers.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Uncivilized implies a lack of manners or refinement, while barbaric suggests cruelty or brutality.
- 2Barbaric is a more extreme form of uncivilized, while primitive refers to a lack of sophistication or complexity.
- 3Primitive can also refer to an early stage of development, while uncivilized and barbaric do not have this connotation.
Good things to know
- 1Discuss History: Use these antonyms to describe different stages of human development throughout history.
- 2Describe Cultures: Incorporate these antonyms to compare and contrast different cultural practices and beliefs.
- 3Analyze Literature: Utilize these antonyms to analyze the themes and motifs in literary works that explore civilization and its discontents.
The antonyms of hypercivilized are uncivilized, barbaric, and primitive. These words describe a lack of advanced culture, refinement, or development. Use them to discuss history, describe cultures, and analyze literature that explores civilization and its discontents.