What is the antonym of “iconoclasm”?
The antonyms of iconoclasm are orthodoxy and conformity. The antonyms orthodoxy and conformity convey a sense of adherence to established beliefs, practices, or customs. They imply a lack of rebellion or dissent.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Conforming to established beliefs, doctrines, or practices, especially in religion.
The priest was known for his orthodoxy and strict adherence to traditional religious practices.
Compliance with standards, rules, or expectations that are generally accepted by society.
The school emphasized the importance of conformity to dress code and behavior standards.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Orthodoxy refers to adherence to established beliefs, especially in religion.
- 2Conformity refers to compliance with generally accepted standards, rules, or expectations.
Good things to know
- 1Religion: Use orthodoxy to describe adherence to established religious beliefs and practices.
- 2Society: Use conformity to describe compliance with social norms and expectations.
- 3Politics: Use iconoclasm to describe a political movement that challenges established beliefs or institutions.