What is the antonym of “idealizing”?
The antonyms of idealizing are criticize, denounce, and condemn. The antonyms criticize, denounce, and condemn convey a negative or disapproving attitude towards something or someone. It implies a lack of admiration, approval, or praise.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express disapproval or find fault with something or someone.
The teacher would criticize the students who didn't complete their homework.
To publicly condemn or criticize something or someone strongly.
The government denounced the terrorist attack and promised to bring the perpetrators to justice.
To express strong disapproval of something or someone, often in an official or legal context.
The court condemned the defendant to life imprisonment for his crimes.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Criticize is a general term that describes finding fault or expressing disapproval.
- 2Denounce is a stronger term that implies public condemnation or criticism.
- 3Condemn is a legal term that implies an official expression of strong disapproval.
Good things to know
- 1Express Disapproval: Use criticize, denounce, and condemn to express disapproval or find fault with something or someone.
- 2Make a Point: Incorporate antonyms in arguments to make a point effectively.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create a more nuanced and varied vocabulary.