What is the antonym of “identical”?
The antonyms of identical are different, distinct, and unique. These words convey the opposite meaning of identical, which means not the same or having distinguishing features.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not the same as another or each other; unlike in nature, form, or quality.
The two paintings were completely different in style and color.
Recognizably different in nature from something else of a similar type.
The two species of birds had distinct markings that made them easy to tell apart.
Being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else.
Her handmade jewelry was unique and could not be found in any store.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Different implies that two or more things are not the same in nature, form, or quality.
- 2Distinct suggests that something is recognizably different from something else of a similar type.
- 3Unique describes something that is one of a kind and unlike anything else.
Good things to know
- 1Comparing and Contrasting: Use different and distinct to compare and contrast two or more things.
- 2Emphasizing Uniqueness: Use unique to describe something that is one of a kind and unlike anything else.
- 3Avoiding Repetition: Use these antonyms to avoid repeating the same word multiple times in a sentence or paragraph.