What is the antonym of “ignominious”?
The antonym of ignominious is honorable, respectable, and dignified. The antonyms honorable, respectable, and dignified convey a positive or esteemed quality. It implies a sense of pride, respect, or admiration.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Deserving of respect and admiration; having high moral principles.
He was awarded an honorable mention for his contribution to the community.
Worthy of esteem or regard; socially acceptable.
She comes from a respectable family with a long history of public service.
Having or showing a composed or serious manner that commands respect.
The elderly gentleman carried himself in a dignified manner, despite his frailty.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Honorable is a term used to describe a person who has high moral principles and is deserving of respect and admiration.
- 2Respectable is a term used to describe something that is socially acceptable and worthy of esteem or regard.
- 3Dignified is a term used to describe a person or behavior that is composed, serious, and commands respect.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Writing: Use honorable, respectable, and dignified to convey a positive or esteemed quality in writing.
- 2Show Respect: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to show respect and admiration.
- 3Enrich Vocabulary: Utilize these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Honorable conveys high moral principles, respectable denotes social acceptability, and dignified refers to a composed and serious manner. Use these words to enhance writing, show respect in conversations, and enrich your vocabulary by expressing yourself more precisely.