What is the antonym of “ill”?
The antonyms of ill are healthy, well, and good. These words describe a state of physical or mental wellness, indicating the absence of illness or disease.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
In good physical or mental condition; free from illness or injury.
Eating a balanced diet and exercising regularly can help you stay healthy.
In a good or satisfactory manner; in good health.
She recovered from her illness and is now feeling well.
Having suitable qualities; satisfactory; healthy.
A balanced diet and regular exercise are essential for maintaining good health.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Healthy refers to a state of being free from illness or injury, while well describes a state of good health.
- 2Well can also be used as an adverb to describe how something is done, while healthy and good are only used as adjectives.
- 3Good is a more general term that can describe anything that has suitable qualities, while healthy and well specifically refer to a state of physical or mental wellness.
Good things to know
- 1Health and Wellness: Use these antonyms to describe physical and mental states of being.
- 2Medical Contexts: Use these words to discuss symptoms, diagnoses, and treatments with healthcare professionals.
- 3Everyday Conversations: Incorporate these antonyms in everyday conversations to describe how you're feeling or to ask about someone else's health.
The antonyms of ill are healthy, well, and good. These words describe a state of physical or mental wellness, indicating the absence of illness or disease. Use these words to describe health and wellness, in medical contexts, and in everyday conversations.