What is the antonym of “illuminating”?
The antonyms of illuminating are obscuring and confusing. The antonym obscuring implies a lack of clarity or visibility, while confusing suggests a lack of understanding or comprehension.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Making something unclear or difficult to see or understand.
The fog was so thick that it was obscuring the view of the mountains.
Causing bewilderment, perplexity, or misunderstanding.
The instructions were so confusing that I had to ask for help.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Obscuring refers to making something unclear or difficult to see or understand.
- 2Confusing refers to causing bewilderment, perplexity, or misunderstanding.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Writing: Use illuminating, obscuring, and confusing to describe the clarity of ideas and concepts.
- 2Improve Comprehension: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to clarify misunderstandings.
- 3Enrich Vocabulary: Utilize these antonyms in writing exercises to expand your vocabulary.