What is the antonym of “illumine”?
The antonyms of illumine are darken, obscure, and confuse. These words convey the opposite meaning of illumine, which is to make something brighter or clearer.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something less bright or visible; to become gloomy or somber.
The sky started to darken as the sun set behind the mountains.
To make something unclear or difficult to understand; to conceal or hide from view.
The author's use of complex vocabulary and metaphors obscured the meaning of the text.
To make someone uncertain or unable to understand something; to mix up or mistake one thing for another.
The instructions were so poorly written that they only served to confuse the readers.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Darken refers to making something less bright or visible, while illumine means to make something brighter or clearer.
- 2Obscure means to make something unclear or difficult to understand, while illumine means to clarify or enlighten.
- 3Confuse means to make someone uncertain or unable to understand something, while illumine means to make something clear and understandable.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Writing: Use these antonyms to create contrast and add depth to your writing.
- 2Improve Vocabulary: Learn these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and improve your language skills.
- 3Enrich Communication: Use these antonyms to express yourself more effectively and accurately.
The antonyms of illumine are darken, obscure, and confuse. These words have distinct meanings and can be used to enhance writing, improve vocabulary, and enrich communication.