What is the antonym of “incombustible”?
The antonyms of incombustible are flammable, combustible, and burnable. These words describe materials or substances that can catch fire easily and burn quickly.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Easily ignited and capable of burning quickly.
Gasoline is a highly flammable substance that should be handled with care.
Capable of catching fire and burning.
Wood is a combustible material that can be used as fuel.
Capable of being burned.
Paper is a burnable material that should be disposed of properly.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Flammable describes materials that can ignite and burn quickly, often producing flames.
- 2Combustible describes materials that can catch fire and burn, but not necessarily produce flames.
- 3Burnable describes materials that can be burned, but not necessarily catch fire on their own.
Good things to know
- 1Safety Precautions: Use flammable to warn people of the potential danger of fire.
- 2Material Properties: Use combustible to describe the properties of materials that can catch fire and burn.
- 3Waste Management: Use burnable to describe materials that can be safely burned as waste.
The antonyms of incombustible describe materials or substances that can catch fire easily and burn quickly. Flammable describes materials that can ignite and burn quickly, combustible describes materials that can catch fire and burn, and burnable describes materials that can be burned.