What is the antonym of “indecent”?
The antonym of indecent is decent, appropriate, and respectable. The antonyms decent, appropriate, and respectable convey a positive and acceptable quality. It implies a sense of propriety, morality, and social norms.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Conforming to accepted standards of morality or propriety; respectable.
She always dressed in a decent manner, never revealing too much skin.
Suitable or fitting for a particular purpose, person, occasion, or place.
It's not appropriate to wear a swimsuit to a job interview.
Having good social standing or reputation; decent or honorable.
He comes from a respectable family with a long history of community service.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Decent refers to conforming to accepted standards of morality or propriety.
- 2Appropriate refers to being suitable or fitting for a particular purpose, person, occasion, or place.
- 3Respectable refers to having good social standing or reputation.
Good things to know
- 1Polite Communication: Use decent, appropriate, and respectable to convey politeness and respect.
- 2Professional Settings: Use appropriate to describe behavior or attire that is suitable for the workplace.
- 3Social Norms: Use decent and respectable to describe behavior that conforms to social norms and expectations.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Decent refers to morality and propriety, appropriate refers to suitability, and respectable refers to social standing. Use these words to convey politeness and respect in communication, describe suitable behavior or attire in professional settings, and conform to social norms and expectations.