What is the antonym of “indulge”?
The antonyms of indulge are abstain, deny, and refuse. These words convey the opposite meaning of indulge, which is to give in to one's desires or pleasures.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To refrain from doing something, especially something enjoyable or pleasurable.
He decided to abstain from eating sweets to maintain a healthy diet.
To refuse to give or grant something; to declare untrue or invalid.
The store manager had to deny the customer's request for a refund because the item was not returnable.
To decline to do or accept something; to reject an offer or request.
She had to refuse the invitation to the party because she had other plans.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Abstain implies a voluntary decision to avoid something, often for health or moral reasons.
- 2Deny suggests a refusal to give or grant something, often due to a lack of authority or validity.
- 3Refuse conveys a rejection of an offer or request, often due to personal preference or inconvenience.
Good things to know
- 1Healthy Habits: Use abstain to talk about avoiding unhealthy habits like smoking or overeating.
- 2Negotiations: Use deny to refuse requests or offers that are not valid or within your authority.
- 3Preferences: Use refuse to express personal preferences or to decline offers or invitations politely.