What is the antonym of “influence”?
The antonyms of influence are impotence and powerlessness. The antonyms impotence and powerlessness convey a lack of ability to affect or change something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of power or ability to affect or change something.
The government's impotence in dealing with the crisis led to widespread protests.
Lack of power or ability to control or influence something.
The citizens felt a sense of powerlessness in the face of corruption and injustice.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Impotence implies a lack of power or ability to affect or change something, while powerlessness implies a lack of control or influence over something.
- 2Impotence is often used in the context of authority or governance, while powerlessness is more commonly used in personal or social contexts.
Good things to know
- 1Politics: Use impotence to describe a government's inability to address a crisis or issue.
- 2Social Issues: Use powerlessness to describe the feeling of helplessness in the face of injustice or inequality.
- 3Personal Development: Use these antonyms to discuss the importance of having agency and influence in one's life.
The antonyms impotence and powerlessness convey a lack of ability to affect or change something. Impotence implies a lack of power or ability, while powerlessness implies a lack of control or influence. These words can be used in politics, social issues, and personal development discussions.