What is the antonym of “insult”?
The antonyms of insult are compliment and praise. The antonyms compliment and praise convey a positive or approving emotional state. It implies an expression of admiration, approval, or respect.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A polite expression of praise or admiration.
She gave me a compliment on my new dress and said I looked stunning.
An expression of approval or admiration for someone or something.
The teacher praised the student for her excellent performance in the exam.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Compliment is a more specific term that describes a polite expression of admiration or praise.
- 2Praise is a broader term that refers to an expression of approval or admiration for someone or something.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use compliment and praise to express appreciation and admiration effectively.
- 2Build Relationships: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to build positive relationships with others.
- 3Boost Confidence: Utilize these antonyms to boost someone's confidence and self-esteem.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Compliment conveys a polite expression of admiration or praise, while praise refers to an expression of approval or admiration. Use these words to enhance communication, build positive relationships, and boost confidence by expressing appreciation and admiration effectively.