What is the antonym of “inwardness”?
The antonyms of inwardness are outwardness and superficiality. The antonyms outwardness and superficiality convey a lack of depth or introspection. They imply a focus on external appearances rather than internal thoughts or feelings.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of being directed towards the outside or external things.
His outwardness was evident in his flashy clothes and expensive car.
Lack of depth or thoroughness; concern only with surface appearance.
Her superficiality was apparent in her obsession with fashion and celebrity gossip.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Outwardness refers to a focus on external things, while inwardness refers to a focus on internal thoughts and feelings.
- 2Superficiality implies a lack of depth or thoroughness, while inwardness implies introspection and self-awareness.
Good things to know
- 1Personal Growth: Use these antonyms to reflect on your own level of introspection and self-awareness.
- 2Interpersonal Communication: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to discuss the importance of depth and authenticity in relationships.
- 3Literature and Art: Analyze characters and themes in literature and art using these antonyms to explore the contrast between surface appearances and inner realities.
The antonyms outwardness and superficiality convey a lack of depth or introspection, while inwardness implies a focus on internal thoughts and feelings. Use these words to reflect on personal growth, enhance interpersonal communication, and analyze literature and art.