What is the antonym of “jarringness”?
The antonyms of jarringness are harmony and congruity. The antonyms harmony and congruity convey a sense of agreement, consistency, and pleasantness. They imply a lack of discordance or inconsistency.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A pleasing combination of elements in a whole; a state of agreement or concord.
The choir's performance was a beautiful harmony of voices and instruments.
The quality of being in agreement or consistent with something else; the state of being suitable or appropriate.
The design of the building had a perfect congruity of form and function.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Harmony refers to a pleasing combination of elements in a whole, while jarringness implies a lack of agreement or consistency.
- 2Congruity refers to the quality of being in agreement or consistent with something else, while jarringness implies a lack of suitability or appropriateness.
Good things to know
- 1Music: Use harmony to describe a pleasing combination of sounds or voices in music.
- 2Design: Use congruity to describe the suitability or appropriateness of design elements.
- 3Communication: Use harmony and congruity to describe agreement or consistency in ideas or opinions.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Harmony conveys a pleasing combination of elements, while congruity implies agreement or consistency. Use these words to describe music, design, and communication that is pleasing, consistent, and appropriate.