What is the antonym of “jovialness”?
The antonyms of jovialness are gloominess and sadness. The antonyms gloominess and sadness convey a negative or unhappy emotional state. They imply a lack of cheerfulness, liveliness, or joy.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A feeling of darkness, sadness, or pessimism.
The rainy weather outside matched his gloominess and made him feel even more down.
A feeling of sorrow, unhappiness, or disappointment.
She couldn't hide her sadness when she heard the news of her friend's passing.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Gloominess is a feeling of darkness, pessimism, or sadness that can be temporary or prolonged.
- 2Sadness is a feeling of sorrow, unhappiness, or disappointment that can be caused by various reasons.
Good things to know
- 1Express Emotions: Use gloominess and sadness to express negative emotions effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create relatable characters and compelling stories.