What is the antonym of “lavished”?
The antonyms of lavished are withheld, deprived, and neglected. These words convey the opposite meaning of lavished, which means to give or bestow something in abundance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To hold back or refuse to give something that is due or expected.
The company withheld his bonus because he did not meet his sales target.
Lacking something that is considered essential or desirable.
Children who grow up in poverty are often deprived of basic necessities like food, shelter, and education.
Not receiving proper attention or care; disregarded or ignored.
The old house had been neglected for years and was in a state of disrepair.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Withheld implies a deliberate action of holding back or refusing to give something that is due or expected.
- 2Deprived suggests a lack of something that is considered essential or desirable.
- 3Neglected conveys a sense of disregard or lack of attention towards something or someone.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these words in your writing to create more nuanced descriptions and characters.
- 3Develop Critical Thinking: Analyze the nuances of these words to develop critical thinking skills and improve communication.
The antonyms of lavished are withheld, deprived, and neglected. Each word has a distinct meaning: withheld implies a deliberate action of holding back, deprived suggests a lack of something essential, and neglected conveys a sense of disregard. Use these words to enhance your vocabulary, improve your writing, and develop critical thinking skills.