What is the antonym of “levelness”?
The antonyms of levelness are unevenness and roughness. These words describe the opposite of a flat or smooth surface, with varying degrees of irregularity or bumpiness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of being not level or smooth; having bumps, dips, or irregularities.
The unevenness of the road made it difficult to drive without swerving.
The quality of being coarse, jagged, or irregular; lacking smoothness or refinement.
The roughness of the sandpaper made it ideal for smoothing out rough surfaces.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unevenness refers to a surface that is not level, with bumps or dips that can affect movement or stability.
- 2Roughness describes a surface that is coarse, jagged, or irregular, often causing discomfort or abrasion.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Surfaces: Use unevenness to describe surfaces that are not level, and roughness to describe surfaces that lack smoothness or refinement.
- 2Comparing Textures: Incorporate these antonyms when comparing textures, such as fabrics, papers, or materials.
- 3Discussing Landscapes: Use these words to describe natural landscapes, such as mountains, hills, or valleys.