What is the antonym of “loll”?
The antonyms of loll are sit up, stand up, and perk up. The antonyms sit up, stand up, and perk up convey a more active and alert state. It implies a lack of relaxation or laziness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To rise from a lying or sitting position to a more upright one.
She had to sit up straight in order to see the stage better.
To rise to an upright position on one's feet.
He had to stand up to reach the top shelf.
To become more lively, alert, or energetic.
After drinking coffee, she started to perk up and feel more awake.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Sit up and stand up both describe physically rising from a seated or lying position, while perk up describes becoming more alert or energetic.
- 2Sit up is more specific to rising from a seated position, while stand up is more specific to rising from a lying position.
- 3Perk up is a more general term that can describe becoming more alert or energetic in any situation.
Good things to know
- 1Encourage Activity: Use sit up and stand up to encourage physical activity and movement.
- 2Express Enthusiasm: Use perk up to express enthusiasm or excitement.
- 3Describe Improvement: Use perk up to describe someone's improvement in energy or mood.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Sit up and stand up describe physically rising from a seated or lying position, while perk up describes becoming more alert or energetic. Use these words to encourage activity, express enthusiasm, and describe improvement in energy or mood.