What is the antonym of “luminous”?
The antonyms of luminous are dull, dark, and dim. These words describe the opposite of brightness, light, or radiance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lacking brightness, vividness, or intensity.
The sky was dull and gray, with no hint of sunshine.
Having little or no light; not illuminated.
The room was so dark that I couldn't see anything without turning on the lamp.
Not bright or clear; lacking in clarity or brightness.
The streetlights were dim and flickering, making it hard to see the road ahead.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Dull refers to a lack of brightness or vividness, while dark implies a complete absence of light.
- 2Dim suggests a partial or reduced brightness, while luminous implies a high degree of brightness or radiance.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Light: Use these antonyms to describe different levels of brightness or illumination.
- 2Setting the Mood: Incorporate these words to create a specific atmosphere or mood in writing or speaking.
- 3Comparing Objects: Use these antonyms to compare and contrast objects based on their brightness or luminosity.