What is the antonym of “luxus”?
The antonyms of luxus are poverty and austerity. The antonyms poverty and austerity convey a lack of luxury or excess. It implies a state of scarcity, simplicity, or frugality.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The state of being extremely poor; lacking the basic necessities of life.
Many people in developing countries live in poverty and struggle to meet their daily needs.
The state of living without excess or luxury; practicing self-discipline and frugality.
During the economic recession, many families had to adopt austerity measures and cut back on their expenses.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Poverty is a state of extreme financial hardship, while austerity is a voluntary practice of living without excess.
- 2Poverty is a complementary antonym that describes a lack of resources, while austerity is a gradable antonym that describes a degree of self-discipline and frugality.
Good things to know
- 1Discuss Social Issues: Use poverty to talk about economic inequality and social injustice.
- 2Encourage Self-Discipline: Use austerity to motivate others to practice self-control and frugality.
- 3Compare and Contrast: Use these antonyms to highlight the differences between a luxurious lifestyle and a simple one.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Poverty conveys a lack of resources, while austerity denotes a voluntary practice of living without excess. Use these words to discuss social issues, encourage self-discipline, and compare and contrast different lifestyles.