What is the antonym of “maidenly”?
The antonyms of maidenly are unmaidenly and immodest. These antonyms describe a lack of modesty or decorum, which is the opposite of what maidenly represents.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not behaving in a way that is considered appropriate for a young unmarried woman.
Her loud and boisterous behavior was deemed unmaidenly by her conservative relatives.
Lacking in propriety or decency; revealing too much of one's body or personal life.
She was criticized for wearing an immodest dress that showed too much cleavage.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unmaidenly refers specifically to behavior that is not considered appropriate for a young unmarried woman.
- 2Immodest refers more generally to behavior or clothing that is lacking in propriety or decency.
Good things to know
- 1Social Norms: Use these antonyms to discuss social norms and expectations for women's behavior and dress.
- 2Culture: Discuss how different cultures have different standards for what is considered maidenly or immodest.
- 3Gender Roles: Explore how gender roles and expectations have changed over time and how they vary across cultures.
The antonyms of maidenly are unmaidenly and immodest. While unmaidenly refers specifically to behavior that is not appropriate for a young unmarried woman, immodest is a more general term that describes behavior or clothing that is lacking in propriety or decency. These antonyms can be used to discuss social norms, culture, and gender roles.