What is the antonym of “measurement”?
The antonyms of measurement are guesswork and approximation. The antonyms guesswork and approximation convey a lack of precision or accuracy in determining the size, amount, or extent of something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of making an estimate or prediction based on incomplete or unreliable information.
Without proper data, the decision was based on pure guesswork.
An estimate or rough calculation that is not exact or precise.
The approximation of the cost was made based on previous experience.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Guesswork implies a complete lack of reliable information, while measurement implies a precise and accurate determination of size, amount, or extent.
- 2Approximation implies an estimate that is not exact or precise, while measurement implies an exact and precise determination of size, amount, or extent.
Good things to know
- 1Science: Use measurement to describe the exact and precise determination of physical quantities.
- 2Business: Use approximation to describe the rough estimation of costs, profits, or revenues.
- 3Everyday Life: Use guesswork to describe the act of making an estimate or prediction based on incomplete or unreliable information.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Guesswork implies a complete lack of reliable information, while approximation implies an estimate that is not exact or precise. Use these words in different contexts such as science, business, and everyday life to convey the appropriate meaning.