What is the antonym of “approved”?
The antonyms of approved are disapproved, unauthorized, and unsanctioned. These antonyms convey a negative or non-compliant connotation. They imply that something is not allowed, accepted, or authorized.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not approved or accepted; regarded as wrong or inappropriate.
His parents disapproved of his decision to drop out of college.
Not having official permission or approval to do something.
The employee was fired for accessing unauthorized files on the company's server.
Not officially approved or endorsed by an authority or organization.
The protest was deemed unsanctioned by the government and resulted in arrests.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Disapproved implies a moral judgment or disapproval of behavior or actions.
- 2Unauthorized refers to actions taken without permission or authority.
- 3Unsanctioned refers to actions or events that are not officially approved or endorsed.
Good things to know
- 1Express Disapproval: Use disapproved to express a negative opinion or moral judgment.
- 2Indicate Non-Compliance: Use unauthorized or unsanctioned to describe actions taken without permission or official approval.
- 3Legal Context: Use these antonyms in legal contexts to describe actions that are not permitted or authorized.
The antonyms of approved have distinct nuances: Disapproved implies moral judgment, unauthorized refers to actions taken without permission, and unsanctioned refers to actions or events that are not officially approved. Use these words to express disapproval, indicate non-compliance, or in legal contexts to describe actions that are not permitted or authorized.