What is the antonym of “ardour”?
The antonyms of ardour are apathy and indifference. The antonyms apathy and indifference convey a lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern. They are opposite in meaning to ardour, which describes a strong feeling of passion, eagerness, or intensity.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern.
His apathy towards his studies resulted in poor grades.
Lack of interest, sympathy, or concern for someone or something.
Her indifference towards her colleague's promotion surprised everyone.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Apathy is a general term that describes a lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern.
- 2Indifference is a more specific term that describes a lack of interest, sympathy, or concern for someone or something.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use apathy and indifference to express a lack of interest or concern effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create contrasting characters and situations.