What is the antonym of “arrogates”?
The antonyms of arrogates are relinquish, surrender, and yield. These words convey the opposite meaning of arrogates, which means to claim or seize without justification.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To voluntarily give up or let go of something.
He decided to relinquish his position as CEO and retire.
To give up control or possession of something to someone else.
The army was forced to surrender after running out of ammunition.
To give way or concede to someone or something.
The driver had to yield to the pedestrian crossing the street.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Relinquish implies a voluntary act of giving up something, while surrender suggests a forced or reluctant act of giving up control or possession.
- 2Yield is a more general term that can refer to giving way or conceding in various situations, while arrogates specifically refers to claiming or seizing without justification.
Good things to know
- 1Negotiations: Use relinquish, surrender, and yield in negotiations to express willingness to compromise.
- 2Conflict Resolution: Incorporate these antonyms in conflict resolution to promote peaceful solutions.
- 3Politics: Utilize these antonyms in political discussions to describe actions of politicians and governments.
The antonyms of arrogates are relinquish, surrender, and yield. Relinquish implies voluntary giving up, surrender suggests forced or reluctant giving up, and yield refers to giving way or conceding. Use these words in negotiations, conflict resolution, and political discussions to promote peaceful solutions and describe actions of politicians and governments.