What is the antonym of “ascendancy”?
The antonyms of ascendancy are decline, descent, and fall. These words convey a decrease or reduction in power, influence, or success.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A gradual decrease or deterioration in quality, quantity, or value.
The company's profits showed a steady decline over the past year.
The act or process of moving downwards from a higher position or status.
The hiker's descent from the mountain was more challenging than the ascent.
A sudden or rapid decline in power, influence, or success.
The stock market experienced a significant fall after the announcement of new regulations.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Decline refers to a gradual decrease or deterioration over time.
- 2Descent describes the act of moving downwards from a higher position or status.
- 3Fall denotes a sudden or rapid decline in power, influence, or success.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use these antonyms to describe trends in the economy, stock market, or company performance.
- 2Politics: Incorporate these words to discuss changes in political power or influence.
- 3Sports: Utilize these antonyms to describe a team's rise or fall in the rankings.
The antonyms of ascendancy are decline, descent, and fall. Use decline to describe a gradual decrease, descent to describe moving downwards, and fall to describe a sudden or rapid decline. These words can be used in business, politics, and sports contexts to describe trends and changes in power, influence, or success.