What is the antonym of “augurate”?
The antonyms of augurate are disbelieve, doubt, and ignore. The antonyms convey a lack of belief or trust in something, especially when it comes to predicting future events.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To not believe or have faith in something; to reject as untrue.
She chose to disbelieve the rumors about her friend's breakup until she heard it from him directly.
To be uncertain or skeptical about something; to question the truth or validity of something.
He doubted whether he had made the right decision to quit his job and start his own business.
To pay no attention to something; to disregard or overlook something.
She chose to ignore the warning signs of burnout until it was too late.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Disbelieve implies actively rejecting something as untrue, while doubt suggests being uncertain or skeptical about something.
- 2Ignore suggests not paying attention to something, while augurate implies trying to predict or foresee future events.
Good things to know
- 1Express Skepticism: Use disbelieve and doubt to express skepticism or uncertainty about something.
- 2Pay Attention: Use ignore to suggest that someone should pay attention to something they might be overlooking.
- 3Predict Future Events: Use augurate to describe attempts to predict or foresee future events.