What is the antonym of “awaken”?
The antonyms of awaken are fall asleep, lull, and sedate. These antonyms convey a state of sleepiness or calmness, which is the opposite of being awake and alert.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To enter a state of sleep.
After reading a few pages of the book, she started to feel drowsy and eventually fell asleep.
To soothe or calm someone or something.
The sound of the waves crashing on the shore had a calming effect on her, and it lulled her into a peaceful state.
Calm, quiet, or composed.
The hospital room was sedate and peaceful, with soft music playing in the background.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Fall asleep is a verb that describes the process of entering a state of sleep.
- 2Lull is a verb that describes the action of soothing or calming someone or something.
- 3Sedate is an adjective that describes a state of calmness or composure.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to create vivid descriptions and convey emotions effectively.
- 3Enrich Reading: Look for these antonyms in books and articles to understand the context and meaning of the text better.
The antonyms of awaken are fall asleep, lull, and sedate. These words convey a state of sleepiness or calmness, which is the opposite of being awake and alert. Use these antonyms to enhance your vocabulary, improve your writing, and enrich your reading experience.