What is the antonym of “barracking”?
The antonyms of barracking are applaud, cheer, and support. These antonyms convey a positive or supportive emotional state. They imply encouragement, approval, or admiration.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express approval or admiration by clapping one's hands together.
The audience was quick to applaud the pianist's virtuoso performance.
To shout loudly in support or encouragement of someone or something.
The fans were ecstatic and started to cheer when their team scored the winning goal.
To give assistance, encouragement, or approval to someone or something.
She always tries to support her friends and family members whenever they need help.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Applaud is a specific term that describes the act of clapping one's hands together to show approval or admiration.
- 2Cheer is a more general term that describes the act of shouting loudly to show support or encouragement.
- 3Support is a complementary term that describes the act of giving assistance, encouragement, or approval to someone or something.
Good things to know
- 1Sports Events: Use applaud, cheer, and support to show support for your favorite team or athlete.
- 2Performances: Use applaud to show appreciation for a great performance, or cheer to encourage performers who need a boost.
- 3Daily Life: Use support to show encouragement or approval to friends, family members, or colleagues who need it.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Applaud conveys specific approval, cheer denotes general support, and support refers to giving assistance, encouragement, or approval. Use these words in sports events, performances, and daily life to show support, encouragement, and admiration.