What is the antonym of “billow”?
The antonyms of billow are calm and stillness. The antonyms calm and stillness convey a state of tranquility, absence of motion or disturbance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not showing or feeling nervousness, anger, or other strong emotions; peaceful.
The lake was so calm that it reflected the mountains like a mirror.
Absence of movement or sound; tranquility.
The stillness of the night was only interrupted by the chirping of crickets.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Calm is an adjective that describes a state of peace and tranquility.
- 2Stillness is a noun that refers to the absence of movement or sound.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Nature: Use calm and stillness to describe natural settings such as lakes, forests, and mountains.
- 2Expressing Emotions: Use calm to describe a person's emotional state when they are not feeling nervous or angry.
- 3Meditation and Mindfulness: Use stillness to describe a state of mind that is free from distractions and noise.