What is the antonym of “blandish”?
The antonyms of blandish are criticize, condemn, and reproach. The antonyms convey a negative or disapproving attitude towards someone or something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express disapproval or find fault with someone or something.
The teacher would criticize students who didn't complete their homework.
To express strong disapproval of someone or something, often in an official or public way.
The government condemned the terrorist attack and promised to bring the perpetrators to justice.
To express disapproval or disappointment towards someone for their actions or behavior.
She reproached her friend for not keeping her promise to meet up.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Criticize is a general term that describes finding fault with someone or something.
- 2Condemn is a stronger term that implies official or public disapproval.
- 3Reproach is a relational term that implies disappointment or disapproval towards someone's actions or behavior.
Good things to know
- 1Express Disapproval: Use criticize, condemn, and reproach to express disapproval towards someone or something.
- 2Provide Feedback: Use criticize to provide constructive feedback on someone's work or behavior.
- 3Show Disappointment: Use reproach to express disappointment towards someone's actions or behavior.
The antonyms of blandish convey a negative or disapproving attitude towards someone or something. Criticize is a general term, condemn implies official or public disapproval, and reproach implies disappointment or disapproval towards someone's actions or behavior. Use these words to express disapproval, provide feedback, and show disappointment.