What is the antonym of “broaden”?
The antonyms of broaden are narrow, restrict, and limit. These words convey the opposite meaning of broaden, which is to make something wider or more extensive.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having a small width; not wide.
The path became narrow as it led deeper into the forest.
To limit or confine something within certain boundaries or rules.
The school restricts the use of mobile phones during class hours.
A point beyond which something cannot or may not proceed.
There is a limit to how much weight this bridge can bear.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Narrow refers to something that has a small width, while broaden means to make something wider or more extensive.
- 2Restrict means to limit or confine something within certain boundaries or rules, while broaden means to expand or increase something.
- 3Limit is a point beyond which something cannot or may not proceed, while broaden means to extend or widen something.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express ideas more accurately.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to create contrast and add depth to your descriptions.
- 3Enrich Learning: Utilize these antonyms to help ESL learners understand the nuances of English words and improve their language skills.
The antonyms of broaden are narrow, restrict, and limit. These words have distinct meanings and can be used to enhance vocabulary, improve writing, and enrich learning for ESL learners.